Damn baby, it’s cold outside! Yes, the winter chill has certainly hit the neighborhood. It’s just about that time to find a snuggle buddy and make some soup. Here’s an excellent way to slurp your vegetables and fill your tummy with love.
*A blender or food processor is needed for this recipe.
Serves 4-5 people. (Saves well in fridge for 3-4 days.)
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 6-7 cups of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (look for already prepared in veg section at Whole Foods)
- 5-6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock (amount depends on how thick you prefer your soup.)
- Optional: Fresh thyme, bundled and tied
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: Dollop of unsweetened Greek yogurt. Try Fage Total 0%
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, carrot and celery to melted butter. Stir and sauté until creamy and translucent (about 5 min.)
- Add cubed sweet potatoes, bundled thyme and nutmeg.
- Pour chicken stock over ingredients until completely covered and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover pot. Simmer about 30 minutes or until all veggies are tender. (Use a fork to check.)
- Remove bundled thyme, discard.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. (Think baby food consistency!) Return to pot.
- Stir in any remaining stock to reach desired consistency.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with dollop of Greek yogurt.